FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideas & Suggestions for Accor for Platinum & Diamond
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:44 am
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Synthesis
So as those with higher status with Accor have found out recently, Platinum has indeed been devalued contrary to what Accor previously promised. As hotel_user correctly put, Platinum is now the old "Gold" (IF even that?). Was thinking we could use a thread with some suggestions for Accor as to create some more distinction between lower and higher status levels, and add some more competitive benefits like Marriott, Hilton and other chains do. Here are some ideas already:
  • Welcome drinks to include cocktails or better welcome drinks/higher-end drinks for Platinums and Diamonds. I find it quite surprising that at certain high-end hotels a Platinum or Diamond member is not offered a cocktail but only "up to a wine" (at the Raffles Warsaw for example). This whilst every type of status level gets any cocktail choice at many Accor properties (some valued at 20+ eur when bought separately). Also, there should be some distinction between Silver/Gold, and Platinum or Diamond no?
  • 2 levels room/suite upgrades for Platinum, 3 levels for Diamond?
  • Complimentary breakfasts for Platinum and Diamond (at least worldwide for the duration of the full-stay for Diamond?)
I was also wondering where the complimentary minibar benefit had gone - correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't complimentary mini-bar not a previous benefit for Platinums before? Even sometimes more than just non-alcoholic drinks? I know that in quite a few hotels I have stayed recently the minibar was fully complimentary (Sofitel Luxembourg, Pullman Bordeaux, Pullman Madrid, etc etc.)
  • Complimentary minibar for Platinum and Diamond? Perhaps complimentary non-alcohol for Platinum and full-complimentary for Diamond?

Thoughts?
I believe the complimentary non-alcohol from the minibar benefit is still listed, however, I can't remember the last time I was in a room with a stocked minibar. The hotels I frequent tend to have mini-fridges in the room, for guests to use to store their own food and drinks, but I've not seen any items offered for sale in them. I typically find them stocked with water by the staff each day, but they generally leave them mostly empty for guest usage (which I completely prefer).

I'm not sure that Platinum has been devalued. I don't think it was particularly valuable before. And the addition of Diamond hasn't really devalued Platinum, since Diamond offers very little beyond Platinum, to the point there is really little incentive to bother trying for Diamond at all.

I like your suggestions of making multi-category upgrades a benefit of higher statuses. That's something worthwhile.

I'd be happy if they could just get the confirmed Suite upgrade awards to work like the old Fairmont system. Those had value, and were easy to use. They weren't just for a measly single night, which is almost useless. And you could just apply them to any existing booking, at virtually any rate, and simply confirmed the suite against the booking. The crap that Accor created is so convoluted and full of exceptions, and usable almost exclusively against inflated rack rates, that what little value they could have had, is basically removed.

So, my ask for a useful benefit, would be to bring back confirmed upgrades like the old FPC system. Maybe make the Diamond ones confirm into a double-upgrade. Say, Platinum SNU goes from base room to junior suite. Diamond SNU goes from base room to 1-Bed Suite. And make them applicable to any existing booking. If you want to exclude things like crappy OTA bookings, fine, but if the rate booked is available right off the hotels' own website, it should be eligible for a confirmed upgrade.