FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's your 'cents per mile' strike price for MRs on AS?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:16 am
Ford Fairlane

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Per eqm or rdm?

I value RDMs at about 2c and take that into consideration when I book flights (though not purely mileage runs). For example, last year I did a BA discount F trip to India for $4500. I earned about 105k miles so I considered it about a $2400 cost.

EQMs are a little different. I value gold very highly, and 75k mostly for the 50k bonus miles. I don't really put a per-mile value on EQMs, but I gladly made a weekend trip to Hawaii near the end of last year to get me to 75k.

I always book main. I don't see the point of having status if I am not going to get upgraded, or at least get a premium seat.
---

Originally Posted by keitherson
It's more a breakeven point + opportunity cost than a strike price like a stock option. My breakeven is 1.5cpm for AS, so if I don't have conflicting plans I'll probably do a mileage run. And yes, saver fares are cheap but if you're factoring in upgrade chances, given the choice if you would pay the $+20-30 difference for a fare (multiplied by the odds of getting upgraded), I'd say the choice is pretty clear against saver fares. If you're not getting upgraded, then book saver.
---

That's making sense to me, or is at least pointing me in the right direction. But I see I succeeded in making one thing unclear: I don't even have MVP yet for the year, let alone MVPG, so until I get to 20K, I think the lowest cost Saver fares I can find still usually make sense when I'm flying alone. I'll definitely be hoping for upgrades from Main once I hit MVP. Thanks to both of you for the insights.