FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:20 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike2003242
A family of four could be on the hook for over $1,000 on change fees. This could effectively cause them to go ahead and cancel their vacation instead of going and losing the majority of their flight tickets. Extremely short sighted from UA.
The change fee is $120 on most Asia routes (change fees, since they have zero to do with UA's costs, are market-driven; Asia is a more competitive market than the domestic US). And the change fee, if charged, wouldn't need to be paid until the tickets were reissued. So, if money were too tight to afford the change fees now, cancel the trip and pay the change fees in a couple of months.

I'm glad that UA offered a waiver; I think its as the right thing to do. I'm confident that they'll extend it if conditions persist. But I also think that people should know what they're buying, and if they're buying a discounted plane ticket with a change fee, they should know that there may be conditions where the fee is applicable. And that's especially true when the change is being made out of an abundance of caution (e.g., they have some cases of this virus in the Philippines -- or Chicago -- so I want to cancel my trip there).

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The original flight was upgraded to Polaris, but both agents’ supervisors said that I could not keep the upgrade. I could only booked into original class of service. So, I had no choice on this unless I found PZ spaces.
That's unfortunate.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, that is the standard process for changes (not caused by UA)
Agreed, but given the situation, I'd hope that they could make an exception.