FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TPs on domestic JAL
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:41 am
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by groenroos
If only there were incoming flights to HND that didn't leave London at awkward times, and we would be having a very different conversation (or none at all)!

My motivation for flying (aside from the TP) is to avoid the trains as much as possible, for I am a delicate flower. Doing a NRT-HND transfer would rather scupper the whole point.
There is a direct coach from NRT to HND. That will allow you to avoid all trains up to ITM (and HND-ITM is very frequent and offers very comfortable domestic F).

One problem with Class J is that it isn't suitable for a delicate flower. They put 2-3 seating on many of them and you could end up in the middle seat (they do not block the middle seat, and it is often full), so it's much worse than CE. No food, and not even a drink on some routes (you do get non-alcoholic drinks on NRT-ITM). Taking a Narita Express to Tokyo and then a bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, both in Green Car (first class) is far more comfortable than Class J and more spacious. Domestic F ex-HND is a different matter, however. That is a nice seat, you get a meal, a champagne if you prefer, as well. However, you will need to either take the bus + train to Kyoto, or a bus to Kyoto. You won't win with this one.

I would take the NEX + bullet train in Green Car to Kyoto in this case, although I do not like trains very much. They are nothing like the UK (or Japanese) suburban trains.

Originally Posted by groenroos
I do wonder what basis for complaint I would have, if any, if it posts as 10 TP in the end? Neither airline has made any explicit promise of 40 TP, and BA's MMB is saying 10 TP for my specific booking prior to paying...
None.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:50 am