FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:07 am
RedDevil83

Programs: BA Gold
Bit of an unusual one but just wanted to get an idea of what I can expect from this:

Flying TPA-MIA-LHR-MAN , first 2 flights on AA and then LHR-MAN on BA. Ticket was AA too.

the MIA-LHR arrived around 50mins late, meaning I missed the LHR-MAN at 10:50am by about 10mins. Went to connections desk and was told the next available seat LHR-MAN wasn't until 17:30 which was far from ideal, but they would put me on standby for the 13:10 and I might have a chance on a business ticket and being a GCH. I even said I would be willing to downgrade to economy if they could get me a seat. At 12:35 I went to the desk in the GF lounge and luckily they had found me one economy seat on the 13:10 to get me to my destination. Boarding pass printed I went down the other end of the terminal and caught boarding half way through. The boarding pass was refused at the e-gate, so I went to get assistance at the manned gate. It was again refused, and the staff member tapped away on the computer for a bit and said I couldn't board the flight as I wasn't booked on it and they had no idea how or why I had that boarding pass in my hand. I explained the situation with just getting it printed in the lounge as I was on standby etc, and they said there's nothing I could do as I wasn't in the system for that flight so I was refused boarding. Highly embarrassing and highly incovenient, after travelling for 14hrs already. I trudged back to the GF lounge back to the desk and told them what happened. They looked at the system again, insisted I was booked on the flight correctly and that the staff at the gate had not followed the correct procedure to get my boarding pass working to get me on board the flight. It was then of course too late, and I was stuck at LHR until the 17:30 flight.

Obviously, I can claim for the delayed arrival at my destination, but what can I claim for the utter cock-up and incompetence that caused me to be denied boarding for the flight they put me on at 13:10?