FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:03 pm
freecia

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Well, I greatly appreciate everyone's comments but now I'm even more confused.
Sandeep1 , I hear you about the transportation. I'm a native New Yorker and have been taking mass transit my entire life but I know getting around Toyko will be a challenge (already I'm struggling to understand all the different lines, I'm so used to places like NY, London and Paris where it's all one transit system). When I travel, I'm usually pretty good about doing my research and targeting the area where I want to be, but I think I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the options.
Google Maps, HyperDia | ???? ???? ??? ???? ??? ???????, mobile data, and a Suica card make this a lot easier. The stored value JR Suica or Metro Pasmo IC card works for both JR & city subways by tapping in and tapping out. You can literally go in on the subway, transfer at X point to JR train, and tap out at a JR station and the card handles all the calculations. If you happen to board a train in the wrong direction, which still happens to me after many years of visiting, just get off when you can and reverse the direction. It can sometimes require tapping out and back in if the platforms aren't connected but that's no big deal other than the small fare. Apple iPhone 8 and newer support digital Suica and recharging with a credit card in the wallet https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-suica/
For help: Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread] Otherwise just top up with cash at the ticket machine.

It can help to go to google maps, star/save the things you want to see, and then decide on hotel based on proximity or transit lines. Tokyo neighborhood feels can differ a lot, similar to NYC. Shibuya and Shinjuku are recommended to first timers, but to be honest, I'd personally equate them a bit like Times Square. So.many.blinking.lights. So many tourists standing in the middle of the road/sidewalk or walking at non-city-dweller speeds. They can be convenient as a transit hub. I visit for a few specific specialty stores but generally head elsewhere for window shopping.

One of the unique things about Tokyo is that if you can think of a retail specialty, Tokyo pretty much has it. Natural bristle cleaning brush store, paper boutiques to design your own notebooks, and indie outdoor gear all exist within Tokyo in addition to the more famous "Only in Japan" stuff like Pokemon, anime, Muji, and various fashion genres.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 21, 2020 at 11:47 pm Reason: hahaha, pokeman.