FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
whatchamackallit03

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
Another thing worth mentioning is how it was handled by Aeroplan, Air Canada and ANA.

ANA : I was able to talk to the Gate Manager and she explained me the situation but still ended up denying the boarding of my brother as this was the most salient option due to the baggage situation.

Air Canada: Initially, they are telling me you need to book/modify reservation for your brother. As per policy, it leads to the original form of booking which is Aeroplan. And no we’re not the same, we merged but still separate entity. Call Aeroplan.

Not to mention an hour of waiting before reaching the Altitude Line.

Aeroplan: No we don’t deal with this, the travel have already commenced. It is the carrier’s responsibility or airport control. Let me transfer you to Air Canada.

Air Canada: *Laughs at Aeroplan’s reasoning* We will open the ticket for you and offload him from the flight/ reservation. The ticket is open now and Aeroplan should be able to apply some modification/ changes. Let me transfer you to Aeroplan. *click*

Aeroplan: They opened the ticket but didn’t help you modify the reservation? They were able to control the ticket in the first place. Meanwhile, looking at available flights on Aeroplan website. An agent saw next Y flight YVR to TPE on the 23rd – which means delay for 3 days.

I saw a J booking leaving in 7 hours. YVR – TPE – MNL on BR. She was able to capture the flights but was “waitlisted” wasn’t able to issue the ticket. And then she’s 10 minutes before she’s done her shift so she hand it over to the next agent.

Next agent: No we can’t just give away J seat even with this case. You can use your miles to add to this booking and we will book your brother. You also need to shoulder the change fee and taxes. *groans*

Air Canada in YVR: 5 people were talking about this. One concierge member stepped out of his office and went to talk to ANA as to why it was handled like this. He kept me in the loop and explained the situation. I appreciated it. They ended up rebooking my brother in a direct flight with PR leaving in 5 hours YVR – MNL. Whew! They were able to reprotect my brother and was handled like IRROPS.

Aeroplan: That’s so nice of Air Canada. It shouldn’t be handled that way. It should’ve been “volunteer exchange”.

I don’t know what to believe now. I’m just happy my brother is happy to go home and be reunited with my parents. Sorry for the long post. I am lost myself.