FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big bday trip for husb - appreciate lounge advice (LHR T5>T3 and T3>T5)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:43 am
AngelMcD

Big bday trip for husb - appreciate lounge advice (LHR T5>T3 and T3>T5)

Hi everyone,
It's a big bday trip coming up for my husb and I'm trying to make sure we maximize our lounge options in LHR. We're flying F for all segments, and here's our schedule: BA114 (JFK-LHR)->BA43 (LHR-CPT). Return BA42 (CPT-LHR)->BA113 (LHR-JFK). We've got pretty long layovers in LHR (~9 hrs in each direction). We leave on Friday (1/24), will be spending most of Sat (1/25) at LHR, and return on Weds, 2/5 (spending most of Thurs, 2/6, at LHR).

1) Outbound: I believe this involves a T5 -> T3 change. I had originally thought we would take the forum's advice to skip flight transfers, and go landside (We have US passports, so can use e-gates). We could then use BA arrivals lounge and CCR breakfast (if it's worth it). After reading reviews of BA T5 arrivals lounge, I now wonder if we're better off just making the T5->T3 transfer and then using the Qantas lounge for showers and breakfast. Does that make sense to people? If so, do we still bother with skipping flight transfers and going lanside, then re-entering in T3? Rest of the day plan would be Cathay lounge for noodle bar at lunch, then BA lounge for our pre-booked massages, which are about 1.5 hours before departure (thanks to FT for the heads-up on pre-booking!). Also lots of walking to make sure I still make my 10,000 step goal and close my rings on my Apple Watch. LOL.
2) Return: I think we'll have a T3->T5 change. Assuming we want to shower upon arrival, I think our best bet is to go landside, use BA T3 arrivals lounge to shower and have breakfast, then head over to T5 and enter through first wing. We can then spend time in the CCR and, if we get sick of it (or it sucks) we can just go into T5 for a relaxed lunch (and lots of walking...gotta close those rings!!). We've also pre-booked the spa on the way back, so we'll have those appointments about 2 hrs before departure. Am I missing any tricks here?

If anyone has any JFK advice, I'm thinking the best bet there is to stick to CCR pre-departure and not faff around with the spa or the business lounge. Am I wrong?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I know it's a long time to spend in an airport, but it doesn't really bother us much. (To note: We lived in London for several years so, although we could theoretically head into London for a couple of hours, we're not really interested in doing that this trip. I could be persuaded to convince husb that we're really better off spending the return at the Sofitel, if that's the strong opinon of FT)

Appreciate all the help and suggestions from this forum!