FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:12 am
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Somewhat of a strange one and not sure where to go at this point. I (finally) chased up BA again in late Dec (yeah, I know I said I was giving up but I gave it one more try) for hotel costs for our canceled flight in Sept due to the pilot strike. BA tells me it was paid out in Nov. My bank didn’t have it and after much investigation said that BA had put in the wrong routing number (which I had confirmed to them no less than 3 times) so my (Canadian) bank returned the payment to them. My bank gave me the return confirmation code and proof that the funds were returned to BA’s financial institution.

I have now been going back and forth with BA for over a month with BA saying it was paid out and they won't raise the payment again. They won’t check with their bank to verify the payment was returned. My last email from them this week said “The bank transfer was already accepted by the bank and a payment was definitely paid out. I've tried to find out if we able to re-raise a transfer again to your bank details but unfortunately we've already sent the money to the account you provided us with.”

Well, yeah, the account number was correct but the routing number was not so it was returned to them. And yeah, it was initially accepted but when the payment had the incorrect routing number, my bank returned it to BA’s bank the following day. So they have the money back and won’t even check with their bank.

So what do I do now? If they were in Canada, I would just file in Small Claims Court as I have the proof from my bank that the funds were returned. Do I just give up as they seem to have washed their hands of it? Would CEDR or MCOL even apply in these circumstances? This whole thing has been far more hassle than it is worth.