FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emergency situation at St Regis Vommub
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:51 pm
UKTraveller4Fun

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Travel insurance usually does not cover any medical condition that is known prior to the beginning of the trip, as appears to be the case from OP’s description. Taking travel insurance would not have made much of a difference in this particular case
I feel it depends on the condition and if that condition is serious enough to mean that travel insurance will not cover it and there is a chance treatment will be required I am afraid to stay at somewhere as expensive and remote as the St. Regis Maldives you have to expect they will charge you for this type of event. It is generally known / accepted that the more exclusive and expensive a hotel the more they charge for things that some low end hotels give away. In this case it sounds like the prudent thing to do would ahve been ask the hotel ahead of making the reservation what the costs would be should an issue occur so you can then make an informed decision to if you wish to stay.

It is not the hotels responsibilty within their room rate to provide medical coverage or speedboat transfers and the cost of these. Once the hotel Dr evaluates someone as needing urgent medical treatment the hotel has little option but to take the steps it did, but it should not be liable for these costs. If the Op feels they are excessive then they should contact the hotel manager / GM expressing their surprise at how high the costs were and if they are able to provide comparative costs from previous experience all the better, but what I feel would be inappropriate would be to contact them expecting the hotel to cover the costs involved as these were incurred by the Op.