FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:12 pm
PDXbased1K

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Thumbs down No Diamond upgrades on government rates anymore?

I've been a Diamond guest with Hilton for years and as a government employee staying with Hilton often. I actually booked a Virtuoso rate at the Waldorf in La Quinta and was surprised to receive the below "welcome" email specifically advising they do NOT upgrade Diamond members who book the government rate. To be fair this property has never upgraded me without a huge fight even when booking FHR or Virtuoso so it's not surprising (and surely a non-issue on this particular stay) however it does impact many of my upcoming stays if true. I followed up with the hotel and they indeed clarified this is their policy. I then contacted the Diamond desk who advised "hotels can do whatever they want" and "upgrades are subject to availability and if you are on a government rate it's not available as they are losing money on those rates already".

I am pretty livid HHonors didn't take the opportunity to correct this property's assertions. I've reviewed the HHonors T&C's and it appears to me if a rate is eligible for points then it is eligible for benefits. If true I'm taking my government stays to another chain (not that Hilton would care based on their statement they are "losing money"). I just find the whole thing a bit bizarre-that this property especially just wouldn't continue their typical policy of lying and saying "no upgrades available" instead of specifically excluding certain rates. Thoughts?
As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, we have listed your benefits below. We hope you will be able to take advantage of your Hilton Honors Benefits as well as the many unique experiences offered at the resort. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to maximize your enjoyment. If you need any recommendations or dining reservations we will be happy to assist. We look forward to your arrival!

· Early check-in if available
· 1 tier room upgrade at check-in
oRoom upgrades are accommodated only at check-in if available
oGovernment Rate reservations are NOT eligible for upgrades
· Daily breakfast credit for you and a guest, up to $30 daily
· 10% discount at Spa La Quinta and Resort Retail Shops (excluding alcohol)
· Complimentary internet access
· 1,000 Honors Bonus Points
· 100% Elite Status Bonus Points
· 2 complimentary waters per day
· Digital Check-In
· 24-hour access to fitness facility
· Exclusive Honors messaging app for pre-and post-stay contact with resort staff