FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From 1K to Delta?
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:51 am
txirish

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
From 1K to Delta?

For five years, I've had 1K status. It's been great, particularly the recent addition of pre-boarding and the outstanding Polaris lounges. But, in 2019 I had fewer international trips and only got to Gold. I never thought about switching while I was 1K but, if I'm going to consider it, this would be a good year. I expect my international travel to pick up this year and might have a run for elite status again. I'm based in Austin, and none of the big 3 dominate. In looking at the performance rankings, Delta seems to be killing it while United is trending down. So, I'm considering switching to Delta but have zero recent experience with the airline. (My travel is more domestic than international. Usually have a few regular fare business class international flights each year, and maybe a few economy flights with or without attempted upgrades.)

Should I be considering this? I haven't heard great things about Delta lounges, but I wouldn't have to pay if Amex Platinum still includes them. I pay annually (with miles) for United Club and log 40+ visits. If I do switch, any suggestions for accelerating status? It looks like I could status match to get started at Gold?

Thanks for any advice, I've been in a United cocoon for the better part of a decade.