FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time connecting through the US to CA
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:48 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hashim17
I don't know if this thread applies here. If it's not, please move it and let me know.

I'm intending to travel from Singapore to Canada on Japan Airlines. My itinerary are as follows

SIN - TYO - ORD/DFW/JFK/LAX - YYZ (open jaw) YVR - TYO - SIN

As Japan Airlines does not have a direct flight to Toronto, I've to transit via one of the listed US airports to arrive at the final destination, Toronto.
  1. Am i able to transit airside at any of the listed airports?
  2. What can expect during security process at the listed airports and how long does the checks last (in hours)? This is gauge my connection time when booking
  3. I'm a Muslim and does have a Muslim sounding name. Will it affect my connection to my final leg of the outbound trip?
Any comment of the matter is appreciated
1. No, there are no airside international connections at US airports. You need to enter the US, pick up your checked luggage, and then re-check your luggage for your next flight (this is actually easier than it sounds, as there are recheck desks for transferring passengers.)

2. This depends on the airport and terminal, but this and immigration could easily take two hours. I would build a comfortable buffer between arrival and departure in your planning.

3. I doubt it will add much time, but be prepared to explain the open-jaw in Canada. They may want to know how you plan to get from YYZ to YVR.