FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 41000 Miles to use wisely from Zurich.
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:46 pm
fromhell

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
Thanks a lot!
I understand what you mean now, with Cathay Economy, you need to book Economy Core or higher to upgrade and with Premium Economy it has to be Flex or higher

My itinerary would be Zurich -> Penang 03.09.2020, Tokyo -> Zurich 04.10.2020 (approx dates)

By my reckoning I could pay (Economy) CHF901 and use my 41000 AM for one way Business Class upgrade
Premium Economy would cost CHF2164 plus 8000AM cost for return Business Class upgrade, is that correct?

Cheers
Denis
No unfortunately you cannot upgrade from Economy to Business on flights equipped with Premium Economy cabins.
For Economy to Premium Economy:
ZRH-HKG: 22,000 miles (no PEY on PEN)
TYO-HKG-ZRH: 30,000 miles (the routing exceeds 7,500 miles)
For Premium Economy to Business:
ZRH-HKG-PEN: 25,000 miles
TYO-HKG-ZRH: 35,000 miles

As many posters have mentioned, QR would be a much better deal

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
Thanks a lot, would maybe make more sense than the 2nd option.
What would be a better deal that could come up with Cathay for the Air Miles?
You might also want to check the current sale from Lufthansa/Swiss right now ex-Europe, extremely attractive pricing to HKG and various Asian cities.
LX/LH: First class fares from Sweden
Sometimes you have to search 2+ persons to obtain the sales pricing. Even First Class fare is not unreasonable.
IMO you can use 41,000 miles for your intra-Europe/intra-Asia segments.
If you want to build up your Asia Miles balance for other fancy trips in the future, segments marketed AND operated by LH/LX can be credited to Asia Miles.

Another "sweet spot" in Asia Miles is their competitive pricing for flights in Medium Haul (2,751-5,000 miles).
45,000 miles one-way business class on CX/KA own metal and likely 5,000 miles surcharge for partners.
If you fly from ZRH on LX with some frequency, it covers pretty much the east coast of US / Middle-East and even parts of India.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by fromhell; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:51 pm