FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schedule change causes 26hr layover
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:28 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by boybi
Will CX provide accommodation? If yes, which hotel does CX usually book their pax?
Originally Posted by seekingsun
My family will be flying IAD-SIN this summer connecting in BKK Hong Kong. Booked in J with AA miles. Originally scheduled to leave Wednesday night at 1am, arriving Thursday at noon in SIN. I got an email about flight change and that we will leave now a day earlier, Tuesday night. I didn't pay attention to the arrival date and just noticed that it stayed the same, Thursday, which means we will have a ~26hr layover in HKK. Before I call them I wanted to hear what options I have. Wouldnt they need to provide for a hotel in such a case? If there is no award space on the flight from HKK-SIN the day earlier, can I demand to be put in paid J?
The other option is to use this opportunity and explore HKK, since we probably wont be able to get to Asia anytime soon. Would it make sense to explore the city even though we'll be jet lagged and with the current political situation? I guess I can check the travel forum as well.
Thank you!
No you won't get accommodation from CX, no you're not entitled for them to open cash J seats for you.

The fact you can see your itinerary on the CX website doesn't matter, that's just the front end where they're making your life more convenient (they don't have to do that, but in practice most airlines do). It's an AA ticket. They should be able to handle this though.

I'm not sure why they're not doing anything, they definitely should. If they want to screw you, what they'll do is blame CX and say CX isn't opening inventory for them. But in reality, AA is your problem (and saviour). Airlines change schedules, especially far out in advance, and they're entitled to do that. Hong Kong has been hit with issues and CX doesn't want to fly a bunch of empty airplanes around 3+ months from now. If this was a week or two out, I'd say maybe you blame CX. But months or more, the person who sold you the ticket is squarely where you have to go....they have the responsibility to make good to you (miles are money, and you're using AA "money"...similarly, AA benefits handsomely by selling lots of miles to credit card companies, issuing to people who use the AA loyalty program, etc. And AA's customers are induced to buy AA miles precisely because AA has a lot of redemption options like CX. But then it's AA's responsibility to make good if inventory goes away. That could mean AA actually buys you a seat from CX, although I'm not sure if in practice what AA does). This is pretty common sense when you step back, but it can seem a little confusing who is what when you're using miles tickets on someone else's flight. It's bs in my opinion if AA passes the buck. They should be able to do something and, on the back end, get CX to help them out.