FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Compensation Policy - Delayed Baggage - HORROR
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:34 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Being hysterical and saying things like ‘not having my preferred clothing choices ruined my trip’ - is not going to make anyone want to help you. It also makes you sound like a miserable person for customer service to deal with.

I would suggest a very simple method: Tell the truth, the facts, and ask for ONE thing.

’My luggage was delayed on my trip because an agent put it on the wrong flight. I did not receive it for 6 days, and had to purchase clothing to conduct my affairs. That totaled __________. Here are my receipts. Please reimburse me for my expenses.’

Really, you don’t need to do anything else.
Being dramatic, complaining, emotional. All those things work *against* you. Be an adult, use clear words and facts, and you will get your reimbursement. You might even get some compensation for the Customer Service failure, but that’s a bonus, and not something to ask for IMO.
Excellent post.

The hysteria will work against you, in part because it makes you sound entitled. Keep it to the bare facts. There was no HORROR because you managed to buy replacement clothes in NY. Seasoned travelers know that there is usually little point in calling day by day to enquirer about delayed luggage, though in your case a mislabeling issue seems to have compounded the problem.

A good rule of thumb when buying replacement clothing and toiletries is to assume you won’t have these reimbursed. So a shirt for $70 is ok, one for $350 not so much. $2,000 for less than a week seems pretty full to me. You’ll probably have to claim some of that from your travel insurance.