FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand South Island Itinerary
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:33 pm
sleepy3192

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
I'd suggest Geraldine rather than Tekapo. It's a closer drive, which allows for delays and some getting used to NZ roads. Take the inland route, not the coastal route. It's a fabulous drive. Geraldine is close enough to Tekapo to not interfere with your plans otherwise, but less than half the cost and an interesting little place all of it's own. Shunt all the Tekapo stuff into day 2 - most of Tekapo is a tourist wasteland IMO, so I'd just get on with the Mt Cook stuff.

4 hikes in 5 days is.... rather ambitious. NZ hikes can be quite full on. They're not the average US-style countryside stroll that get called "hikes".

The glacier is in thermal collapse. Don't expect it to be anything worth paying money to do/see.

I'd plan a bit more loosely if I were you. Have a list of things you want to do and the rough order of doing them, and then just see how many you get through, bearing in mind need to book for some, etc.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into Geraldine instead of Tekapo. As for the hikes, I'm well aware these aren't a walk in the stroll type of hikes. But I'm not the type of person that will just chill and do nothing. If it means going slower to avoid getting injured, that is fine with me. I've hiked 20+ miles in a day before as mentioned and had to drive 3-4 hrs the same day. So I think I'll be good. I am writing stuff on a day by day basis because I don't want to forget. I'll definitely be picking and choosing which ones to do if lets say weather does not cooperate.

As for the Glacier, did you go there yourself and experience the hike? Are you saying it is not worth it from your own experience?

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
Spend day 1 in Christchurch. Jet lag is brutal when you fly to Australia or New Zealand, it will affect you for days. Don’t get off the plane and take a long drive. NZ is wet. I spent three days at the glaciers, rained all 3 days and 3 days at Mount Cook, socked in with cloud all three days. Keep your plans flexible enough to deal with bad weather. I found the roads to be very easy, even driving on the wrong side. I would spend more time in Queenstown, less in Wanaka, Franz Joseph and Arthur’s Pass. Add in a trip to Akaroa.
I appreciate the concern, but I have done research on Christchurch and I feel it isn't worth staying an entire day for it. I'll have a 15+ hr flight so I have time to sleep. I normally don't drive in the side NZ does, but I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll be using navigation so I'm sure it won't let me turn the wrong direction

Originally Posted by ps107
Google "Castle Hill" and "Punakaiki Rocks" for a couple of popular attractions not far off your planned route and you can decide whether or not they're of interest.

Roads are narrow with a lot of corners and limited passing opportunities. Please don't speed up on the straights if there's a queue behind you like a lot of rental vehicles seem to do
Thanks for the recommendation! Will look into it!

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Dates are OK. After Easter and still reasonable weather. You do not say where you are flying in from (time zone change), but for an 08:25 must be an early start. Be careful with driving.

Little risk of wild animals on the roads. Will be (introduced) deer in places, but they well keep away from cars/people. Can be farmers sheep and cattle on some roads when being herded from 1 paddock to another.

For the December West Coast road link in post 4 heavy rain washed out the road and bridges. About 80 rental cars were abandoned when the people were taken out by helicopter and/or large heavy 4WD vehicles. Took a week or so to get the road open again.

Most definitely
Yeah I'm only afraid of animals popping out of nowhere. Like in Norway. I think I'll be fine driving in NZ. I had to drive in hail, snow, and strong winds in Norway along with the narrow roads happening all at once. From looking online, NZ doesn't have this issue.

Seems like the December West Coast was really a one off exception no? But regardless, if it does rain to that degree, I'll have to adjust my itinerary. Which will suck, but the chances I would think of the weather not cooperating to that degree would be slim...

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Alternate opinion here on Tekapo. we did Mt John night and then day.. and really enjoyed it. The night activity doesnt start until midnight and goes until 2 am so we were much happier staying in Tekapo and not driving anywhere at that time of night. It is a bit more expensive but the tradeoff is time and sleep. It was interesting to see the area in the daytime, after you have gone up the hill at night and you really dont know what it looks like. Agree that the other attractions in town dont merit much time and will be filled with tourists - it will be hard to take a picture. Also agree on the rain will happen. We drove from Tekapo to Mt Cook planning to do a short hike and it started to rain mid way on the road in to Mt Cook - and there is only one way in and one way back, and we ended up driving in and out without getting out of the car. I will be a broken record but the driving and the distances will be longer than you think - its not just 2 lane roads, its one lane bridges, and many roads are not straight for more than 10 minutes or so. You wont see everything no matter how much time you have, so pick a few things, and enjoy instead of trying to pack it all in.
Thanks for the advice. I think my drive days I am not doing much. So I have given myself time to factor the long drive in.