FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA proactively cancelling segments thinking you'll misconnect is a bad idea
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:56 pm
pushmyredbutton

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
UA proactively cancelling segments thinking you'll misconnect is a bad idea

This is a new one for me, but massively frustrating. If there's an existing thread on it, feel free to merge.

UA79 to NRT on 1/13 was delayed 3 hours due to a mechanical issue: ladder punctured the fuselage on the original plane. Had a connecting flight to CGK which was in jeopardy, but I was confident since NRT no longer has transit security for US inbounds and I was carry-on only.

Confirmed with UA in the lounge prior to takeoff that my connection would stay intact. Upon arriving 20 minutes prior to departure for NH835 in NRT, I'm told my by the ANA agents that UA cancelled the segment because they didn't think I'd make it. Even though it was an ANA ticket, NH ground staff were useless in getting the segment back, and I had to watch my flight home board and leave without me.

I'm not even after compensation here, but I find the practice of actually removing connecting segments to be a terrible practice if customers can in fact make their flight within the legal times.

Rant over Is there anything I could have done better in this situation?