FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Needles/controlled meds
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:57 pm
1readyset2go

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Needles/controlled meds

So I am traveling from BNA-LAX. That is a positioning flight. We will stay at an airport hotel overnight then we will go back to LAX to go to HKG via CX in J. AFter spending 5 days in HKG will will then go to MNL (again on CX in J). From MNL we are then headed to Manila's other smaller airport (sorry I dont know its code) to board Amanpulo's private plane for a stay there. Then after our stay at Pulo we head MNL-HKG-LAX-DFW-BNA.

I am fairly new to disability travel and carrying needles and controlled substances. I will need in my carry on a couple of narcotics and Valium along with a slew of other meds- literally over a dozen. In addition to that I have Epi Pens that must be with me in the cabin along with insulin and needles for that. I am concerned about going through airport security in foreign countries. It has not been a problem when I fly domestically. I do have TSA Pre and Global Entry. Furthermore I cannot go through the backscatter machines due to an implanted medical device and that area of my body cannot be wanded. I am fine with a pat down, its just the price I have to pay and I have resigned myself to it. I do carry a card that states this (of course its only in english). Wow I am tired just after typing all that!

I plan to keep all my meds in their original bottles as dispensed from the pharmacy and I will only carry enough for my own personal use but this is a 2 week trip and i require all these meds daily. My doctor will write a note explaining my need for all of the above as well, but again it will be in english. And I also carry a red sharps disposal box to hold my used needles.

So my question is do I need to do anything else? Do I need to somehow alert either HKG and MNL customs in advance? I did we when went to SIN last year.

Side note to look at me you would never guess how sick i am. In fact I look quite the opposite as a 6 foot 2 muscular guy.

Thanks!