FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of dropping AA for Delta
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:15 pm
ggonzaga

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
At 65 I'd say the same thing. All the hard work I did when I was younger is now paying off.

I find it concerning to read these messages from under-21 folks who are dying to get into the Flagship Lounge. There is PLENTY of time in your middle and old age for sitting around a stuffy lounge with boring old people.

I have a brother-in-law who is exactly my age (born the same month, same year) who acted like an old man from the time I met him in our 20s. Instead of going out and doing things, he'd sit at home in the relaxer chair watching TV with his dad. ("Hey, quiet down there. It's time for Star Trek.") At the same time I was working hard in school, at paid work and going around the world with my marketing job, as well as building my marriage. (43 years now with the Original Husband.)

NOW, I'm happy to sit in a comfy airport lounge chair doing Sudoku. My BIL is, sadly, passed on. He never got to be "young".
I’m sorry for your loss, I do understand what you’re saying. I don’t equate being “young” to being irresponsible, and I feel like students my age look at college as their last opportunity to “let loose” before “adulting” hits them. I see it as otherwise. I was always more mature than my own age and I find it silly to go to parties every weekend, get absolutely wasted, make bad decisions, slack on academics, and rinse and repeat for 4 years. I do enjoy going to parties and doing fun things, but in moderation. I’ll involve myself with these activities, but I know when I feel as though I’m doing it too much. Sometimes it just so happens that everyone around me keeps on partying and then I’m left alone. I don’t feel the need to give my friends and peers these validation, as in I don’t really fall victim to peer pressure in these senses. I’m spending these years being as productive as possible because that’s just how I feel the best about myself. I want financial independence for my future and I know that the work I’m putting in today will take care of me in the future. But not to worry, I do live young- just not necessarily in the most general way. Thank you for the wisdom and the kind words, I do appreciate what you have to say especially given your first hand experience with issues like these.