FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:38 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mozilla
I agree with this, although I make reservations about the "not a scenario that anybody's really thought about" part. What annoys me, however, is how this "ticket out of sync" issue, which is the source of multiple and often obscure problems a traveler may face, is still not something that can be flagged and fixed right away to minimize customer impact. Why oh why does it still either 1) require the customer to talk to an agent to fix it 2) require hours or days to be manually reviewed and get fixed in the background (red exclamation point in PNR display)?

When the app attempts to refresh the BP and the backend sends an error back, why doesn't it pop up a dialog notifying the customer that the refresh failed and ask if the BP should be deleted or kept and retry later? Why does it by itself go ahead and delete an important travel document without assurance that the traveler has an alternative ready?

It's sad that we and agents are supposed to shrug and blame IT, while knowing very well that this won't fix anything.

Is it actually paper that comes out of the kiosks? I've always wondered that that is. It feels like some sort of artificial cheap plastic with a thermal layer on top of it. Wrinkles are impossible to get out. The print fades much quicker than on real paper.

I do still get real paper United BP's with colored logo at the GS receptions and most INTL J counters.

AFAIK TSA does have procedures for a passenger presenting with no ID or no BP, but not sure that it entails. It'd probably take a lot longer to get you through security, however, so not sure if anything would've been gained.
It's possible to get past TSA with no ID (at least for a domestic flight) but AFAIK a "civilian" over age 2 cannot go through TSA airport security without a boarding pass for the flight. CLEAR generally avoids the TSA document check, but one starts by scanning a boarding pass at the CLEAR kiosk.