FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of dropping AA for Delta
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:41 pm
ggonzaga

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Perhaps this is a case where the OP should consider trying to go for status on another OneWorld airline, and then crediting AA flights to that? If s/he can reach mid tier, wouldn't that get him lounge access in the US on domestic flights?
A friend of mine told me the same thing, that I should get status with British Airways and that way I'll have access to ACs even flying domestic. It feels like now would be the time to get started on that since it's just the beginning of the year and I only have around 6,000 EQMs in my AAdvantage account. However, I did a quick search and it looks like BA Executive Club Silver and Gold requires you to fly British Airways at least 4x per year. I could get away with flying with them 2x a year if I know I'm going to Europe, but I don't want to feel forced to fly to Europe just to maintain status each year. I travel often enough to Europe but it's never something that's programmed each year. Also, I am told that if you're oneworld emerald through AA you'd get better treatment/higher priority when flying AA in terms of upgrades and IRROPS than if you became oneworld emerald through BA and flew AA.