FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold and Elite recognition upgrades
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:18 am
JANZFlyer

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by stevewill
I am currently Gold and have two RU's. I will hit elite on the 17th Feb and plan to gift the two Gold RU's to someone on my gifting register. I will do it on the day and before my 2 Elite RUs hit my account. Apparently they are processed each week on a Tuesday. Will this be possible? Is there a difference between "Elite gifting RU's" and "Gifting Elite RU's". Will i be able to gift the gold ones as an elite member?

I have just booked Auckland to Chicago - PE. If I used my Gold RUs, then hit Elite a month later, would they be counted as gold or elite? Does that make sense?
You will get varying reports on this and it is difficult to confirm (I asked a similar question about 4 years ago).
Best for you to apply your Gold RU to yourself for the PE to BP both sectors, then you can gift your new elite upgrades.

The system I think when processing upgrades will recognize you are elite and treat them like "Elite" upgrades. The upgrades are not tagged themselves but tagged according to the member they are linked to, because you are / will be elite when you travel they will be seen as elite upgrades (this is why when you gift your upgrades they are looked at in terms of the tier level of who you gifted to).

I would ask about R class availability for your flights, you won't be able to get auto confirmation as a Gold but when you hit elite I would call the call centre back and see if they can get auto-accepted if there is R class available. It will be a bit hit and miss depending on who you get.

Cheers