FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:40 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don’t mean to pile on, but OP doesn’t appear to have done much due diligence about how best to make a 90-minute connection at IAH, yet also doesn’t seem to have had a very high tolerance for the (entirely expected, IMO) resulting delay.

If I selected that connection, and it didn’t work out, I don’t think I’d then post about how United “ruined my trip.”
Yeh, Airline sells a 90 minute connection. It is actually more than the published MCT (had he looked it up, my guess is that like 99.9% of people he did not). OP knows he has Global Entry, etc. When the airline is late landing (as someone above suggested) but you would have made the plane anyway, but the airline"cancelled" your boarding passes, stranding you, IMHO it is 110% on the airline.

If the airline sells the ticket, they are responsible when there is (a) a delay w/i their control, or (b) some type of situation they create, causing you to miss your connection. Yet the rule appears to be that only marks fly on UA, so they deserve what they get, unless they have protected themselves.

In this case, United has outdated computer systems, which they went with to try to save $$$$. These systems - evidently - resulted in UA cancelling OP's ticket when they thought he would miss his flight, but when he did not, because the system has a limitation that I don't know of any other airline having. I certainly know that flying UA pre-2012 that I routinely had UA back me up on a later flight, but my boarding pass was good even with the back up. I certainly ran up to lots of flights right at door closing. Never was told I was off-loaded.

The idea that unless you have a graduate degree in airline-management, and have spend hours figuring out what UA will do, that it is your fault when UA does something strange (and unique to UA) that messes you over is beyond me.