FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz DEN what classes are AWD/4WD?
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:54 pm
tatnai

Hertz DEN what classes are AWD/4WD?

First post, go easy. I have read a number of threads, including the master sticky thread with what cars are in which classes (I would link, but I am not allowed to yet). Thank you for all of the info and to all who have contributed. I have read the Hertz fleet descriptions (again, I can't link yet).

I rent with reasonable frequency at DEN, often to go snowboarding in the mountains. I grew up in the north, have driven 2WD cars in snow my whole life, so I don't often stress getting an AWD vehicle, often rent an R (minivan) to fit people and equipment at a cheaper rate than T or T6.

However, I have a couple trips coming up where I may be crossing multiple mountain passes, and chasing some powder. Would definitely prefer AWD in this case, particularly since quite honestly the tire quality on the last couple of 2WD vehicles I rented was pretty poor/worn down. In the Hertz fleet descriptions, only Y6, Y7, Y8, Y9, F7 are listed as "Automatic 4WD Transmission" or "Automatic AWD Transmission", however from my reading of other posts and threads I understand that many of the other SUV categories often are AWD. At DEN, I have actually never see any of the Ys show up when I am reserving, so those do not seem to be an option there. All the models I see listed in the classes I can rent from at DEN are manufactured standard 2WD with AWD/4WD as an option.

I understand there is never any guarantee, and ultimately I should call ahead and request it, but can anyone provide a little more insight on which classes are "for sure" AWD, vs which are "good chance" AWD, vs "not likely" AWD between the following classes: Q4, T, T6, L, L4? These are the main SUVs that show up when booking at DEN, and do not have their description listed as AWD/4WD.

Thanks in advance for the help!