FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worth cancelling a non-refundable ticket if I choose not to fly?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:03 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by superlarry
Thanks for your responses @Often1 and @mia, and my apologies for posting in the wrong section.

I'm interpreting your responses to be conflicting answers.

I had suggested doing nothing and waiting to see if there was a cancel or substantial delay but that would be at the time of the flight. Not sure what fare rules would be applied here. Is there some reason I would have to cancel? I can't find anything suggesting WestJet offers any credit for cancelling but I could be wrong
Be careful as no-shows are not the same as cancellations and unless you have a very flexible full fare ticket not showing up will likely make it valueless. Many tickets with some sort of change fee say no-shows make the ticket worth zilch, both directions.

The concept proposed here is that a substantial enough change can make you eligible to complain to WS that you cannot travel due to the change (and have no desire to take some alternative) and often, you can get a full refund because they have not met their side of the contract.

But if they don't change, then you have to cancel vs. not show up at all and perhaps some value, net of change fees, goes into your "travel bank" (not the same as WS dollars which you earn), to use later. Also in theory taxes paid are due since you did not pay them to WS as much as "through" WS. I'd not bet the farm on seeing those again.

If you bought a basic economy ticket either show up as scheduled or forget it. It's worth zero and cannot be changed nor cancelled.