FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:35 pm
EchoBravo

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Congrats to those that have actually been able to get Air Canada to pay some compensation out for delayed flights. Looking for some advice on whether it makes sense to pursue this further or not.
Sent in a compensation claim for a flight (1673) that was delayed for 5 hours due to a mechanical issue. That flight was then cancelled and we were put on another flight (909), we were told that plane was on it's way. It was then delayed another 8 hours waiting for the plane to arrive in Orlando. E-mails from Air Canada on the delay show the delays were due to "This flight is delayed due to a technical issue affecting the inbound aircraft". But at the airport we were told that the incoming aircraft wasn't allowed to take off until they figured out how to transfer all the passengers from flight 1673 to flight 909 on a new plane.

Below are two reasons that Air Canada denied claims, funny enough neither are for the actual flight that I put in the orignal complaint for (I never actually said anything about flight 1674 in my complaint at all, they did that one themselves). Do either one of those really seem like a safety issus to anyone else? The security check is that we were waiting on passengers that didn't make it through security in Toronto on time, and they had to take the baggage off the plane since they didn't make it through to board.

Thanks
--Daryl

<From Air Canada e-mail since I'm not allowed to post images yet>

We are in receipt of your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight 1673 on 2019-12-27. We are sorry for the delay you experienced at arrival to your final destination.
In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by a safety-related issue.

Specifically:

AC 909 MCO Orlando Intl - YYZ Toronto Pearson2019-12-27​This flight was delayed due to scheduling issues.

ZX 1674 YYZ Toronto Pearson - MCO Orlando Intl2019-12-15​This flight was delayed due to a security check.