FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gift Cards deactivated by retailer.
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
Bigzamboni

Originally Posted by ogg
Define "deactivation" for me, please. Do the cards have a transaction history showing activation and then withdrawal, or do they show as never activated? If you scan the actual card in a reader, does it show the number on the card or the "other" number on your receipt? There are lots of possibilities, including the VGC card being tampered with before purchase so you activated different cards then the ones you have.
Transaction history for the MGCs cannot be viewed online on the GCM site. The website comes back with a "technical error." Calling the number on the back of the card and checking that way returns a message "This card is inactivate and cannot be accessed through this system" or something to that tune then hangs up. To actually get a human I have to use a working card then explain to them. The GCM CS looked it up with the serial number from the barcode beginning with 6039 told me it was "deactivated by the retailer and to return to them for assistance."

The BBB receipt shows the correct last 6 from the activation serial number(6039...xx) for the MGCs I have and the transaction I attempted to use them on when I found out they didn't work also shows the correct last 4 of the card, so it wasn't an issue of cards that were tampered with. The BBB receipt says they were approved when I first got them, but since viewing the history isn't possible, I have to believe what the GCM CS says is the case.

The number that BBB claims doesn't match is my payment card. I used a Happy card with the number 1234 xxxx xxxx 5678 (history shows a transaction at BBB for the date in question) and BBB is saying they only have a transaction from a card with 1234 yyyy yyyy 5678 on that date. That's why I got the vibe the lady thought I used a cloned card or something. The physical BBB receipt only shows the last 4. I don't know how easily they could pull up the entire card number or if it's some how encrypted in their POS and that's why the number was shown to her incorrectly. But since she conveniently went on vacation and nobody else is able to help, despite her saying any manger could, I have to wait a few more days.