FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please advice on how to seek compensation - Too many problems on my recent UA flight
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:56 am
zoonil

Please advice on how to seek compensation - Too many problems on my recent UA flight

Hi,

Pretty much every thing which can go wrong went with my recent United flight and wanted to share my experience, as well as seek advice on remediation/ compensation. The biggest being downgraded on a paid (revenue) ticket from business to basic economy (middle seats), loss of 3 days due to mechanical, 5 day baggage delay and no pre-booked special meals on the return.

Please give my post a patient read - and let me know HOW best to reach United regarding compensation (email ? website?) Also, if you have an indication of how much compensation I deserve. Also, since I was downgraded from United Polaris to Economy on my outward journey - how do I seek refund of the fare difference, even though United booked me in "Y" class (I was still stuck in middle seats)

Background/ Itinerary:

For family of 4 : Purchased Revenue Business Class (Polaris) tickets (i.e not award tickets) to spend the holidays with friends/ family
Newark - Hong Kong connecting to Cathay Pacific business class onward to India (2 hour layover in HKG)
Return, India - Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific business class, connecting to United Polaris Hong Kong - SFO - Newark.

Onward Journey:

Dec 20: Onward journey Travel date: 5 bags checked in. Initially flight UA 179 Newark - Hong Kong delayed by a few minutes due to mechanical with incremental delays every 40 minutes and eventually CANCELLATION of flight for that day due to Mechanical. Provided with hotel at Newark and meal vouchers. Flight re-scheduled for 9AM the next day
Problem #1 : Flight cancelled due to mechanical. Lost 1 day in travel. But mechanical happens. Received UA cares email with $400 in UA e-cert (have not yet claimed)

Dec 21: The previous day's cancelled flight operated as special flight #2 805 to Hong Kong. Took off around 10:00 AM. Plane has to turn back and return to Newark, after flying to the Northern tip of Canada (approx 6 hours of flying) because the Mechanical re-surfaced. Landed back in Origin airport Newark around 4:00 PM. Have lost even the next days' onward connection.
Problem #2 Previous day's cancelled flight flown with special (separate) flight number only to return back to Newark after 6 hours because the mechanical defect was not fixed. LOST 3 days in travel (since I would miss my onward connection). Received UA cares email with $500 in UA e-cert (have not yet claimed)

Dec 21: After landing back in origin airport Newark, RE-booked on UA 48 non-stop to Mumbai. However, no Business seats were available, and DOWNGRADED to Economy . Also, since the only seats were 4 middle seats and they were all over the economy section (including my 2 kids sitting next to random strangers). United Agent, recalled our bags from the Hong Kong flight and confirmed that they will be re-routed to UA 48 flight to Mumbai. Since it is not necessary to pre-book vegetarian meals on flights to India no problems with meals (more on this no the return segments)

Problem #3 : DOWNGRADED from United Polaris Business to Economy middle seats (and all 4 family members separated). Again, mine were paid (revenue) tickets.

Dec 22: Landed safely in Mumbai. Did not receive the 5 checked in Bags. Mumbai ground staff confirmed that they were not loaded on the flight, despite assurances received from the Newark based Polaris lounge agent that my bags, were re-routed from the HKG flight which had to return back to Newark. Baggage irregularity report filed

Problem #4 : All 5 Checked in Bags not loaded on my flight despite receiving assurances that they were re-routed to this flight.

Problem #5 : DEC 22 to DEC 26. All 5 Checked in bags missing for 5 days. Daily calls to Mumbai Airport staff and HQ Baggage # with limited information . Baggages finally delivered to me with a 5 day delay. Of course, Christmas was ruined with all the gifts still stuck with the missing bags. Many family members for whom the gifts were intended already left by the time the bags were delivered.

RETURN Journey:

Cathay Pacific segment India - Hong Kong - uneventful. Business class. Special meals received.

United Hong Kong - San Francisco: Special Meals (Vegetarian) NOT loaded despite booking them 2 weeks prior. NO Vegetarian choices for breakfast or Appetizer of Dinner
Problem #6 : Special (Vegetarian) meals not loaded despite booking them ahead of time. Limited options to eat during the flight.

United: San Francisco - Newark: Again the Vegetarian meals were not loaded. NO Vegetarian choices on the menu, FA offered the Mezze box for 1 of us (only 1 was available), and 3 cheese platters since nothing else appropriate was available for us to eat

Problem #7 : Special meals (vegetarian) not loaded and No other meals suitable meals offered.

Not the end of the world -- but as you can see our special Christmas travel was greatly impacted. The presents we bought for many family members could not be delivered because of the 5 day delay in delivery of the bags.
Please advice::
1) How to seek compensation - who do I write to? Email? Website? How much compensation to seek?
2) How to I seek refund of the downgrade in my onward journey from business to coach.

Thank you

Last edited by zoonil; Jan 6, 2020 at 11:47 am Reason: font