FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Place(s) to stay near small, pretty town(s), preferably in southern France
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:50 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Place(s) to stay near small, pretty town(s), preferably in southern France

Late September/early October this year, my wife and I and a few friends will visit France together. (A couple of us speak decent French; the others, just a smattering.) In addition to a few days in Paris, we'll have about 10 days to spare. We'd like to rent one or two VRBOs/Airbnbs/etc. or stay in one or two small guest houses during that time. I'm seeking recommendations for specific small towns, or even specific Airbnbs or guest houses to stay in. I know it's a big country with lots of options, but to narrow down my search for recommendations a bit:

1. We'd prefer to be in the southern part of the country for the slightly better weather at that time of year, but not on the Mediterranean coast.
2. Ideally, the place(s) would be just outside of town, but within walking distance of it, or in the town itself, and the setting would be pleasant in either event. It would be a nice place to pass the time.
3. The town would ideally have several good restaurants, cafes and shops, be nice to walk around. and spend some time hanging out in, and be in or near a scenic setting. (The opportunity to take long country walks also would be great.) Beyond those basic priorities, the smaller the town the better.
4. The surrounding countryside would be culturally or historically interesting and pretty to explore. If steeped in history and historical sites, great, but not essential.
5. The availability or uber or taxis for exploring the countryside would be great, but we realize that may not be an option. We'll have one or more cars.

I realize that there are so many potential places. But we're not interested in a specific region, per se. We're looking more for a nice place or town or two to hang out and use as a base, whatever the region.

If anyone cares to offer any advice above and beyond what I'm seeking here, it's more than welcome. Thanks.