FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Issues with double catered flights
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:20 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, looking at today’s CUN-SFO flights, all say fresh food and snacks available for purchase. Sounds like either a catering error, or the crew on the outbound used the return cart on the outbound when they ran out of that?

Unfortunately, there are some routes that are clearly within the fresh food for purchase window that don’t even get it. I was surprised to see it when I was trying to buy something on CVG-SFO, which clocks in at ~ 5 hours (or did...I think this flight stopped running last week). Crew says it’s due to a lack of catering at CVG, and so they only have those box of carbs for sale. For one thing, there is plenty of catering available at CVG - ask DL, who provides it on their flights. Second, is there an issue with double-catering food out of SFO? Seems if they can double-cater meals for F pax on CVG-SFO (which they seem to do - they have always had meals in both directions in F), why can’t they do it for Y? To add insult to injury, The flights, depending on the day, leave either at 6am (more recently) and even before, at 7. The only real option to grab breakfast at A concourse in CVG before boarding is Starbucks - which has to be the slowest moving Starbucks line, and longest prep time, of any Starbucks I’ve been to (and that is a low bar). Everything else is closed, Club at CVG doesn’t open until 6, nor do the other eateries such as Blaze, and The stuff in B mostly only open at 5:30 anyway, so not enough time to go there before boarding ends. Went looking at other Midwest-SFO routes, and many of them suffer the same fate. While flights from IND, DTW, CMH, and even YYZ to SFO seem to offer fresh food for purchase, in addition to CVG, flights from MCI, STL and BNA do not. Not sure how they decide these flights don’t need it, it can’t be that hard, can it?