FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replacing Lastpass with Bitwarden
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:38 am
DYKWIA
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Replacing Lastpass with Bitwarden

My renewal for Lastpass just came through, and it's now $36 per year. It's gone from $12->$24->$36 in subsequent years. Also, they are now charging VAT on UK subscription which pushed it up to $43...

So, I started looking at the alternatives. One that I'd not heard of before was Bitwarden. This is open source, and free for personal use (you can pay $10 a year for some extra features).

There are clients for Windows / MacOS and Linux, and browser plug-ins for all the major browsers. It's remarkably similar to Lastpass, and seems to do everything Lastpass does. You can export from Lasspass in CSV format and them import into Bitwarden. Moving everything onto Bitwarden took less than an hour for all my devices.

From what I can see, everything is held fully encrypted on the Bitwarden servers. Because it's open source, security audits can take place on the source code. A big advantage it has over Lastpass is that you can use your own server to host the Bitwarden server software (all done via Docker) - so you can choose not to have any of your data on the Bitwarden servers if that is what you'd prefer,

Anyway, this has been a public service announcement for those who don't want to be gouged any further by LogMeIn (the new owners of Lastpass).