FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mental Exercise - UA > AA for an ORD based 1.5x/mo Business Traveler
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:01 am
kevflyer

Programs: UA 1K
Miles Question - Booking award while having status vs after losing status?

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I've been doing the math on my business travel and I think I can get Star Gold. I'm asking for a second opinion. I'm currently AA Gold (basic status == UA silver). My calculations are based on the following:

I take 1.5 business trips a month, on my discretion of flights between AA and UA since I'm based in Chicago. E+ is also paid for by my employer.

I will be taking around 18 roundtrips a year for business - which equates to 36 PQFs and around 300 PQP based on my experience from PQDs on AA. Additionally, the paid E+ seats will amount to another approximately 100 EQPs ($50 average for the seat) per segment. Therefore, I would get 18x400 = 7200 PQPs for my business travel.

Secondly, I have an international trip booked that will qualify for ~ 900 PQPs, which brings me up to 8100, and most importantly Star Gold.

Does anyone see anything insane about this plan or should I stick with AA? The same math only gets me AA (== UA Silver).
It would be insane if your math ends up being a little off and you're short some PQP and end up needing to make a mileage run or 2.
Also there is a cheaper way to go about the E+ seats with the annual subscription at $599 instead of spending $100 on each RT ticket. But hey your employer is paying for it so. Doing it this way will get you the extra PQP and you'll clear the $8,000 mark so yeah go for UA.

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA Gold is considerably better than AA Gold, so if AA and UA are equally convenient, your plan makes sense to me.

That said, you may find yourself needing to put some spending on a Chase United Explorer visa to reduce the PQP requirements in 2022 if you intend to keep UA Gold status. One of the key advantages of Gold is free E+ at booking, which will eliminate that source of PQPs.
Forgot about the free E+ once you have UA Gold. Though OP can also fare up to a higher Y bucket to make PQP work. But depends on his company's policies I guess.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 3, 2020 at 1:20 pm