FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Altitude Status Extension for Parental Leave
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:26 am
tylerchris

Originally Posted by Danima1
So I'm looking to use this perk when my daughter is born at the end of Jan/Early Feb. I had thought that my status would only be extended for the length of time my travel is reduced but it looks like it gets extended for the entire year following, can anyone confirm this please? Also does anyone have any examples of the letter they provided AC? I would have figured that you would need to supply a copy of the UI confirmation or something just as official which had me a bit concerned. Acceptance of a HR generated letter is ideal as I am just taking lieu time/vacation to be home. Never thought I would get to use this benefit, wife and I only planned on 2, but very happy it happened while at SE.

Thanks!
I used this program last year, with the birth of my 2nd daughter to extend my (lowly :P) E35K status. As the dad, I only took 2 weeks off work, but my travel was significantly curtailed basically 1-1.5 months on either side. I didn't go on EI (given only took 2 weeks off), and I didn't even get a letter from HR. I just sent an e-mail with birth certificate, and then some background in e-mail, highlight that my travel abruptly stopped for ~3month period around the birth (a lot of my travel is short-haul, Toronto -> New York, so even though miles / AQM is short, the frequency is every 1-2 weeks or so, so it was obvious). They were really professional, and granted me the extension without any additional questions.

If you have an HR letter, I think that would be totally fine, as it's more than I had.