FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:05 am
trickartt

Programs: BAEC
Hello FlyerTalkers, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Forgive the newbie question: I haven't made an EC261 claim before.

BA190 was delayed overnight from 31 Dec 2019 18.55 to 1 Jan 2020 15.15.

At 15.35 we received an email saying that check-in was suspended, and at 17.35 an email was sent saying "flight BA190 to London Heathrow has been delayed overnight, because of a member of our crew falling ill before departure. While a replacement member of crew will be able to operate, regrettably we have had to make the difficult decision to delay this flight overnight."

We were offered nothing. The trip was delayed by 21 hours, on an EU carrier, to an EU destination, for a trip further than 3,500km, and BA's email makes it clear it was their decision to make the delay.

My assumption is this is a pretty clear case for a claim for €600 per person. I started working through the customer service complaint form linked in this thread, but it asks for expenses information - thankfully we were staying in Austin with family which made the delay less painful, but I can't produce invoices/receipts for that, or indeed the day of work my partner and I are missing today, due to the jetlag we were accounting for by planning to arrive home yesterday.

So my question is - do I only get the €600 if I can rack up €600 of expenses per person? I would assume given that it is 'compensation' and not 'reimbursement' that it shouldn't matter about expenses, but BA's form really doesn't make it clear.

Any advice welcome - I'd like to get this filed sharpish, with the looming Brexit on the horizon!

Thank you all.