FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Losing Silver
Thread: Losing Silver
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:16 pm
wingnuthead

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Same here. After years of "status", I'm down to genpop this year, had Silver last year mostly because I had the ancient Presidential Plus card that I cancelled. No longer even silver, but the Explorer card gets me most of the same stuff anyway.

Originally Posted by therossinator
I tend to agree. When I was starting out, I made my first mileage run in December LAX-EWR-PBI in order to make silver. I just wanted to see myself on the upgrade waitlist. Now I'm at a different place in life and United does not fulfill my travel requirements very well any more. Alaska does and rather than stress about making status on Alaska, I just pay for first class. I'm sure I'm saving money in the long run vs. chasing status.
Completely agree with this. After 30 years of heavy travel, 2-8 flights per week, I'm a free agent. Did the cheapo credit cards on a few airlines (Jetblue, UA, AA, etc,) so I can get bags and earlier boarding, But these days, doing more international travel and United simply doesn't offer anything better than any other airline, and usually its way more expensive on UA anyway.

I too