FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:32 am
brandonpkt

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
A couple of initial thoughts from our first trip to WA Maldives after three to the Conrad Maldives:

1. The resort has honored everything they offered and then some. I am very impressed with how they handle things and I really trust their word for our future visits:

+ On arrival they proactively said we would be charged $370++/person RT for our Yacht transfer (we booked before the wording change on the website)
+ We also booked BEFORE the NYE Gala was announced / disclaimer added to the website. Therefore, the day before NYE our excellent island hostess (Reina) proactively told us it would be optional for us to attend; we politely declined and opted for some excellent In Villa Dinning instead. This also freed us up to spend on other experiences here at the resort. We signed up for the WA Open Water Scuba Diving Certification course, which is much more aligned with our preferences despite the increased cost of the course / dives compared to the NYE Gala
+ The free “downgrade” to a reef/ocean villa was honored for us (the beach villas are very popular with families here so I understand why the Reef/Ocean is now the base room type); really not a downgrade though as I prefer the location of this villa type vs being on the beach

2. 5-star (often anticipatory) service exists (eg Four Seasons or better) for even non-VIP guests like us - which matches the 5 star stunning hard-product:

+ Champagne, water and other drinks re-filled without request by the guest at Breakfast
+ Finished plates and cutlery removed by the staff- new cutlery placed at the table without request
+ Room cleaning and turn down will occur when the guest has left the room
+ Staff members offer assistance at all times throughout the island
+ Bar tenders at the free gold/diamond happy hour will make great off-menu complimentary cocktails upon request; also additional treys of food will be brought out upon request as well

In summary:
+ Night and day compared to the Conrad Maldives where we won’t be returning; instead we plan to visit the WA about every other year
+ I will inquire about alcohol at last nights NYE gala and then offer them feedback for future years (it should be included at this price point)
+ Now that the NYE gala is confirmed and on the website, then in the future when we return at NYE we will look at that gala charge as the extra cost of visiting the WA when our work schedule allows over this time period (e.g., a 20 night visit amortizes the gala cost to only an additional $50/day/person)
+ We unfortunately just spent almost $8k on our very disappointing third trip to the Conrad Maldives last week. Therefore, although compulsory galas are not really our style, I’ll put up with it in the future as the cost of doing business to have a real vacation at a true 5 star resort in the Maldives

Last edited by brandonpkt; Jan 1, 2020 at 9:39 pm