FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:22 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by karatelovr
What am I missing by everyone's comments of "check to see if you're upgraded"?
There is third option, which is when you start the check-in process, after you have chosen the arrival time,a room suggestion comes up immediately, which is an upgraded room and message to that effect. The room type is also visible at this point, and you can compare it to what you booked originally against Hilton.com's list of room types. There is a second option on that screen which allows you to choose another room, and there may well be other upgraded room options. Again the room type is specified and can be compared against what is booked.

For the two options you are referring to, if you "select own room" then again you should be shown the room type. Bear in mind that most upgrades are a single jump, so perhaps from a Queen Room to the Queen Deluxe - many people wouldn't notice the difference. But if you look at the Hilton.com room types there is a clear hierarchy laid out there.

If you instead use the floor map instead of the room tabular listing, you may notice a small up arrow symbol on available rooms, indicating they are upgrades. This is inconsistent, I've seen it come and go even in the same hotel a short time apart, so I suspect someone needs to correctly press particular buttons to make it happen.

Finally if you go to the My Stay tab, you will see the room type: this particular field will update to whatever the current upgraded room offering is, typically a day or so before arrival. This is a seamless change, so you need to recall what you booked or look at the original email booking to see whether this is actually an upgrade.

Just be aware of some "upgrades" are not what they seem - so for example going from a Queen to a Twin Premium room - this is an upgrade but not if you wanted the larger bed!