FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:38 pm
karatelovr

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by wally5505
I would advise a couple things:

1) Check the mobile app sometime in the morning of your check-in. Sometimes you are already upgraded. In my experience, this seems to be the better run hotels that do this. I could be mistaken on the "why" part, but that is just my experience.
OK, I've never understood this directive and I've seen it often. How do you know if you've been upgraded? When I do OLCI, my choices are to accept the "great room [they've] picked for [me]" or to choose my own. If I've never been to the hotel, how do I tell by looking at the 2D line drawing room map which room to tell? Obviously, I can do research ahead of time on Trip Advisor or what not, but sometimes, there just isn't time for that for every hotel stay. What am I missing by everyone's comments of "check to see if you're upgraded"?

For reference, my stays are usually HGI, DT and ES. So maybe that's the difference? There are rarely true "upgrades" with those hotels?