FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:22 pm
wally5505

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
I would advise a couple things:

1) Check the mobile app sometime in the morning of your check-in. Sometimes you are already upgraded. In my experience, this seems to be the better run hotels that do this. I could be mistaken on the "why" part, but that is just my experience.
2) If you are not upgraded when you check on the app, do not do the mobile check-in (where you select a room). That, from personal experience and reading on here, seems to make the process of upgrading a bit more of a pain for the front desk, thus, it seems to reduce chances of an upgrade.
3) If you do not get one, it never hurts to say "Hey, I am just curious, is there any chance of getting a diamond upgrade?" when you are at the front desk. Being polite goes a long, long, long way. People love doing stuff for people when people really appreciate it. I think that is the best advice that I can offer.
4) Of course, there will be times when you do not get an upgrade. Depending on the types of hotels, locations, day of the week, events in town, etc., there may be times where you are not able to be upgraded.
5) Sometimes you will be surprised and get really good upgrades that are beyond the one-step upgrade (props to my favorite hotel in terms of service: The Walforf Astoria Chicago on this one!)
6) Bonus Tip - You will notice in the confirmation area that has a link for something in the line of "Hey, if available, would you pay $12 for X upgrade upon check-in?" - It seems the consensus is to skip this request unless you are fully willing to pay for the upgrade, which is weird because that is not a guarantee either.
7) A lot of times on these threads, people will say that the golden rule of upgrades is this: If there is a specific room type that you really want, the sure bet is to book that room type. Obviously free upgrades is awesome, so I understand the question. Just saying that people WILL give that advice on here for some situations where people are stressing about a specific upgrade (I know that is not what you meant though)!

I am sure I am forgetting a couple, but hopefully that helps. Have fun with your status! Wishing you all the best.