FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OK, maybe E+ isn't all that bad.....
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:37 pm
dilanesp

Programs: united
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------------
..except for the unwashed masses that default into E+ seating because there is nothing left in E-......you know, the folks who get separated from their children or travel partners and then start a big, loud rumpus over not being able to sit together. Sorry, but any and ALL coach seating should not ever have become an ancillary charge.
I strongly disagree with just about everything in this comment. One, our fellow travelers are not the "unwashed masses". If anyone here really believes this, (1) take a Greyhound bus sometime, and (2) save up some money and pay for FC or a private plane. But I don't find other travelers to be anything like that- they just seem like normal people to me. No different than the people you run into at a baseball game, or the supermarket.

I have also not seen too many "loud rumpuses" about not being able to sit together- because most families actually don't buy Basic Economy when it discloses to them, in very prominent print, that they aren't allowed to sit together. I am definitely not a fan of seat trading on airplanes, but it also really doesn't happen that often. The vast majority of the time, everyone on a flight sits in their assigned seat.

Finally, the alternative to "ancillary charges" is bankrupt airlines. The unbundling of airfares, allowing for various ancillary charges, is responsible for the world we now live in where airlines stay in business and are profitable. And they don't hurt travelers at all- we pay for what we need. It is possible to get an excellent coach experience from United. You can (1) not purchase Basic Economy, (2) purchase an E+ seat, (3) purchase UC passes for your trip (which they will discount for you if you buy them at the time of your reservation), (4) purchase a checked bag, and (5) if you are still hungry after the UC, buy a snack box or meal on board. You will have an excellent flight experience! Much better than you would have had in Y 25 years ago.

Ancillary charges are good, not bad. And so is E+. You pay for the stuff you want.