FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday
Old Dec 25, 2019, 6:38 am
Delta75

Originally Posted by Often1
Seems to have followed standard US air carrier policy. This was not a decision of one employee, but rather the Captain who was advised by others. Don't focus on how many drinks you had over the course of the journey, but how your conduct might appear to others.

However framed to OP, the FAA rules (which apply here because DL is a US carrier) are that the passenger is not to be served if "he appears intoxicated." 14 CFR 3-3546.

The FAA rules require that the PIC and the relevant staff complete a written report, so there will already be one on file, whether OP complains or not.

More than likely, DL will commend the Captain and others involved for their actions.

For what it is worth, don't focus on the exact language used. Staff are trained not to directly confront passengers when avoidable. E.g., "I think you're drunk" becomes "you appear to be over the limit" (even though there is no established limit by number of drinks). This also has nothing to do with a "threat." If a threat, OP would have been denied boarding. This had to do with serving booze.

thanks everyone, I am a first time poster and appreciate all the feedback.

this particular response above is exactly correct, I talked to Delta yesterday and there is open case, file, noted etc.

they were very nice and said my version of what happened and their notes are nearly identical, but couldn’t tell me the actual reason or person that made the decision when how or why until after the “investigation” is closed. They even had copies of my correspondence with delta on twitter during the flight already under my name when I called yesterday.

I don’t want anyone fired or sued or anything other than a simple explanation.

they seem to be very willing to do so, on their timeline, which is fine. Thanks again