FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:49 pm
readywhenyouare
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by manacit
There are more conspiracy theories in this thread than there are in a season of Ancient Aliens, my goodness. We've got facial recognition determining whether people are drunk, the wife of a Delta pilot trying to "get her husband's attention", and (my favorite) revenue management deciding that it'd be easier to accuse people of being too drunk so they don't need to be served.

Let's try this: I can say with relative certainty that Delta does not have any sort of hard policy around how many drinks one is allowed to have before boarding, but a GA/Red Coat saw an OP and judged them to be of concern, and they took appropriate action to ensure no expensive mistakes happened in air. This is basic risk management - Delta owes OP no alcohol if they think he's already intoxicated, and I am very happy that they erred on the side of not serving.

It is probably embarrassing for OP (I certainly would be), and if he's telling the truth, it sounds like it wasn't completely warranted. As others have said, there are two sides to every story.
It seems the only thing the OP is guilty of is being friendly. He probably had an animated conversation with his friend in the smoking lounge and the grumpy GA didn't like that someone looked to be having a nice time. The GA's line of thought was probably "no one can be that happy sober, off he goes".

I guess the takeaway from this is just give a grunt to anything that doesn't need a specific answer, put your headphones on, and don't talk a soul. Then maybe Delta will leave you alone.