FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:26 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DC2NYC
I'll check out the official waitlist tonight since that's when it's officially published on the UA Flight Status pages & make the decision to strip the upgrade based on whether or not my position's improved or worsened... that way I can be targeted for check-in buyups at T-24
I’m not sure whether or not the list changes when it first officially appears on the website; please let us know what you find.

As for copay, the CSR mentioned that (if my upgrade clears) I'll only be charged the 30K miles & will get back the 600$ since I'm in P+ now thanks to that 5$ buyup. I'll bring it back up again with UA tonight based on what I see on the 12/27 status page.
That... doesn’t sound right. I’d have expected that they’d refund the difference between the old co-pay and the new co-pay (as mentioned — not zero) immediately. I’d be very tempted to call, explain what happened, and ask for them to pull and re-apply the upgrade request.

JUL 27 was the original ticketing date. ~800$ for a 1way from LGA, stopping in DEN and SFO.
According to ExpertFlyer, a one-way K fare, purchased on 7/27 for travel on 12/27, had a $950 base fare. A one-way R fare with that same purchase date cost $2448. A one-way R fare with a purchase date of 12/23 cost $2561.

You’re sure she put you in R, and not RN, right? RN would be upgrade space into P+ from economy, and the cost would have been just the 30K miles — your co-pay would be refunded if it didn’t clear to Polaris. It also wouldn’t change your spot on the upgrade list. I could see there being a $5.40 difference in taxes or something, maybe... Assuming you’re really in R, you got a fantastic deal ^

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
100% chance of clearing, only 7 on the upgrade list with 23 seats remaining. Enjoy!
There is no such thing as a 100% chance of clearing a waitlisted upgrade, although I agree that the chances look very good. However, things happen: if the upgrade isn’t cleared until the gate, a cancellation or long delay on EWR-BOM could easily lead to EWR-DEL being filled. Similarly, a cancellation on EWR-DEL 12/27 could use every seat on EWR-DEL 12/28. I agree that chances look good, though, based upon those numbers.

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I thought there was still a co-pay from premium plus around 300 dollars if I remember correctly.
I checked; it’s actually $450 on that route.