FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to complain?
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:56 pm
sucker777

Originally Posted by GregL
I had a reservation with Hertz in Oakland (booked through Priceline) for a full-size car from Friday through Monday of Labor Day weekend.

When we arrived at OAK's Rental Car Center, at 11:30pm, we found that, while all other agencies had little to no line, Hertz had a line of approximately 20 people and only two agents working the counter.

While I have a Hertz #1 Gold account, I typically do not use the #1 Club Gold line. In this case, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if I could use the #1 Club Gold booth. When I walked into the booth outside, the gentleman behind the counter brusquely told me the booth was closed and that I would have to use the counter in the Rental Car Center -- even before I could say a word. I make mental note of his name based on his rude treatment.

So I headed inside and began to wait. While watching the two agents helping other customers, I see that they are aggressively pursuing upsells -- to higher class cars, to purchase insurance, to purchase the fuel option -- significantly slowing the transactions while the line continues to grow.

About 30 minutes later, the same gentleman begins working inside and asks if there were any #1 Club Gold members. After he completes working with the customer who walked up, I politely state that I am a #1 Club Gold member but have a pre-paid reservation and ask if I was included in his call for Gold members. Without answering my question, he says he needs to help other people who have been waiting longer, but he will help me in turn. (Based on his answer, I'm not sure if he means after other Gold members or after waiting in the regular line.)

After each customer he works with leaves, I attempt to make eye contact with the agent who told me he would help me later on, only to be ignored and have him serve the next customer in line.

Finally, at 12:35am, I am finally helped by another agent when I reach the front of the line. (I won't delve into how I hand her my driver's license and credit card, only to have her ask me my name!) Based on the data in my #1 Club Gold profile, the transaction is completed in under 3 minutes.

As I walkaway, I see a sign listing the name of the manager on duty -- the same agent who had ignored me and treated me rudely both at the #1 Club Gold booth and the regular rental counter.

My issues with this rental transaction are as follows:
  1. The lack of proper staffing at the rental counter. (Hertz had to have known the rental volume they were expecting that evening, as everyone in line had a reservation)
  2. The aggressive upselling which delayed transactions even further. While I know this is part of the car rental business, at 12:30am on a holiday weekend, I think they should have toned it down knowing how many people were in line.
  3. The rude treatment on multiple occasions by the manager on duty.
  4. The total lack of apology from anyone regarding the wait encountered.

Do I have a legitimate gripe about the service? If so, who should it be directed to? (Complaining to the OAK location doesn't seem to be of much help, considering the treatment I already received from the manager!)

Your thoughts/opinions are welcome...

Greg
You can email [email protected] or fax a complaint to 800-654-9925. If you prefer speaking with someone, you can try 800-654-4173, but that is more for billing issues.