FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Somewhat Interesting One at GVA
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:44 pm
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Somewhat Interesting One at GVA

Last night (22 Dec 2019), I was booked on the last flight from GVA to AMS (KL1934), with the Holiday Inn Express Schiphol booked for the night before my onward trip to DUS the next day. All went well, we pushed back on time, but during the takeoff roll the captain abruptly aborted the takeoff. He later explained that he was unable to control the aircraft as it swayed from side to side and couldn't keep it in a straight line. It was raining heavily during takeoff and Suisse Romande had experienced high winds that day, but he was convinced there was a technical problem and taxied back to the gate.

Crew were incredibly proactive and the FAs immediately started a water service. The captain came to explain and give updates, and the co-pilot went through the cabin to field questions. The flight attendants then went through the cabin with the Beamster cheese sandwich service, followed by drinks including wine. Finally, the aircraft was deemed fit to fly by the mechanics and we left 2 hours late, arriving at AMS at 23h05 instead of 21h25. I thought KLM handled it excellently and the cockpit crew did a great job. Seemed to be quite a few people like me overnighting at AMS before catching a connection the next day, plus a number of Mexicans connecting to Mexico City, although it looked like they didn't make their connection.