FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whistleblower: TSA reduced wait time by relaxing security measures
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:51 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Is there a schedule of attacks published somewhere that I could reference? I'd like to know when an attack is due so I can schedule around it.

I agree with Boogie Dog - the concept that we are "due" for an attack has no more credence than the idea that we are "due" for a civil war, a 9.0 earthquake, or an extinction-level event. It's a silly superstition about random natural or man-made events.

I doubt that. The trend of terrorist attacks in the US has been toward mass shootings, while Europe has seen an uptick in stabbings and vehicle attacks.

But the next attack on commercial aviation that catches us completely off guard and surprises the general public in the same way that 9/11 did will be something based outside of the airport proper, something like the laser toner cartridge bombs of 2010. It will involve an attack vector that's currently not thought of, like perhaps poisoning the food of an entire group of flights or shooting down a plane with an improvised SAM. Drone strikes (i.e. deliberately imitating a bird strike using a drone or drones) are a possibility, but the technical difficulty of these very high, and the potential effectiveness is unpredictable.

Anything coming from inside the airport, either from passengers, flight crew, or airport employees, is far less likely because inside the airport is where we are looking. The next sucker punch, just like 9/11, will come from a place where we are not currently looking.
I truly hope that no terrorist attack of any kind happens in the future. I agree that an attack from an unexpected vector stands a good chance of success. In my opinion not enough attention is given to under wing threats and could end up being one of the unexpected vectors.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Dec 23, 2019 at 9:50 am