FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does UA creates confusion of benefit "ownership" by making offers to "sell" miles?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:42 am
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bear96
Vacation days at work. (Except maybe in effect selling them back to your employer unless there is a use-it-or-lose-it policy in place like at my stingy-a$$ company.)
Heh, my employer justified it as "We give you vacation because we want you out of the office for your own health, letting you sell it back would not accomplish that goal" and my admin nags me endlessly about using what's left near the end of the year... Coming from a long line of workaholics and seeing as the last time my dad left a job he had 9 months of accumulated vacation to be paid out it probably is for the best. (Currently burning off my last 3 (of 20) days at home)

But any number of vouchers, coupons, benefits are non transferrable -- theme park tickets, rebates-in-the-form-of-discounts for retailer reward programs, sick time, most software, anything you've purchased from iTunes... The difference is those either a transfer is not (readily) possible or the people controlling those benefits figure its such a de minims issue that it's not worth (regularly) enforcing. This is a case where the mechanism is easy and the organization owning the benefit has decided its worth enforcing the terms.