FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing in PHX?
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:07 pm
RetiredSFOATC

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Thanks everyone for making this an interesting thread! So, here's a bit of an update. First of all, while I don't have any details about the divert, the AS reservations folks said that the flight made an "emergency landing" - but that's all I know so far. IME, this is usually a serious mechanical problem or a medical problem, and usually the flight crew is the resource for the people on board - but it's odd that nobody got a reasonable update from them. Odd in itself.

The aircraft is now airborne (as AS9341) and enroute from PHX to JFK to pick some of us up and get us to SFO late tonight.

Meanwhile, I have another question for the group: I will be forced to overnight in SFO, and I know that airlines typically reimburse for that (when not ATC/weather related). In your experience, is it better to just see how things go and ask someone at Alaska customer service for a voucher, or is it better to reserve something in a hotel somewhere, pay for it, and request reimbursement later. I'm of a mind to do the latter, so I know I will have a hotel room waiting when I finally get to SFO, as opposed to asking for a voucher from a non-existent customer service staff (at the wee hours) and try to find a hotel AFTER that.

Often1 I understand what you are saying about not worrying about the cause of the divert, but a) I think the airline should be transparent about it, and b) often the reason will dictate what sort of compensation people are entitled to. As for this particular airline geek, I just have a high level of curiosity about these things.....

One last thing for the group - I've never tried to post a pic here before, so I hope this works, but if you ARE an airline geek (particularly of those dear departed carriers), you MUST check out the TWA Hotel at JFK. It is amazing, and while still having a few opening jitters, it is well worth a visit.... so much to see, including the "Connie Bar"

From the "Sunken Bar" in the TWA Hotel lobby, outward to the "Connie Bar" - a restored Constellation which is very VERY cool.