Old Dec 16, 19, 1:48 am
nexusCFX

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
I'm looking at booking an award flight using United miles from SFO to BKK, via Tokyo. Inbound flight on UA metal SFO-NRT, longish (8-9 hour) layover, then onward from HND-BKK on NH. My questions are around getting myself and my checked bags from NRT to HND for the connection. Will be in business.

I assume I can check my bags through all the way. I further assume that I won't have to claim them at NRT, drag them to HND myself, and re-check them there for the second leg - that is, once I check my bags in at SFO, I won't see/touch them again until I claim them in BKK. Correct?

How about getting myself between airports? Does my ticket include some kind of an airport shuttle from NRT to HND?

Thanks.
You have to collect your bag and bring it to HND. You will have to fund your own transport to HND. There's a bus that goes between the two as well as several train lines. The former is preferable.

ANA is launching SFO-HND service next year so when that goes on sale you may want to keep an eye on award space and switch to that flight to avoid the airport transfer. That is, assuming your travel commences after that route launches.

Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.